Growing up in a small town, I have so many heartwarming memories of celebrating Independence Day with parades down Main Street, decorating the backyard with stars and stripes for our annual BBQ block party, and piling in the station wagon to go to the annual town Fireworks! Living now in the wonderful small town of Waynesville, NC, we are reliving those childhood memories and making new ones! The “Things to do” list for celebrating the 4th of July in the mountains of Western North Carolina abounds! Just book a room at Oak Hill on Love Lane Bed and Breakfast and decide how many fun activities you can fit in during your stay! From concerts, to history tours, to theater and music, here are our top ten favorite ideas for making the most of an All American 4th of July week in the Smoky Mountains of North Carolina (In no particular order)!
1. The HART Dinner Theater in Waynesville presents “The Fantastiks” – The longest running show in American theater history. Shows will be running on Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings.
2. Wheels Through Time 15th Anniversary History Festival – follow the timeline of two-wheeled motorized vehicles featuring rare machines and memorabilia.
3. See Balsam Range in Concert on July 2nd at Lake Junaluska – Haywood County’s own bluegrass and acoustic band takes the the stage. Don’t miss this nationally known hometown band!
4. History, Haunts, and Legends of Haywood County Tour – Leap Frog Tours
offers a two hour walking tour in downtown Waynesville every evening. Enjoy a cool mountain evening on this fun and informative tour.
5. Take in an evening of great food, great wine, and great music at The Classic Wineseller in Waynesville. Offering live music every Friday and Saturday night.
6. The Town of Waynesville Stars and Stripes Celebration kicks of at 11:00 a.m. on July 4th with a good old fashioned Independence Day parade along with live music and entertainment. The Haywood Community Band will present a patriotic concert on the courthouse lawn at 2:00 p.m.
7. What better way to celebrate the 4th of July than going to a baseball game! Leap Frog Tours will transport you from Waynesville to the Asheville Tourist’s Baseball Game on July 4th. The game will end with an awesome fireworks display. And you won’t have to worry about parking and 4th of July traffic! The Leap Frog Tours van will pick you up Oak Hill on Love Lane Bed and Breakfast at 5:15 p.m.
8. The Lake Junaluska Fireworks Display – 9:30 p.m. on July 4th
9. Maggie Valley “Backyard 4th” – will be held on Tuesday July 3rd starting at 6:00 p.m. – bring a blanket, picnic, and games and stay for the fireworks display at dark.
10. Sip a cold iced tea while rocking on the porch at Oak Hill on Love Lane Bed and Breakfast! Enjoy the cool breezes, magnificent views of the mountains and town of Waynesville, and incredibly comfortable accommodations.